How to make selection of welding electrodes or filler wire?
The selection of the right welding electrodes or filler wire is an expert task performed by Welding Engineers based on factors:
- Base material types, grade e.g. Stainless steel or carbon steel, SS316, ASTM A106 etc.
- Similar material welding or dissimilar welding.
- Joining or weld overlay application.
- Metallurgy of the material, its physical, and chemical properties.
- Service conditions e.g. room temperature elevated temperature, deep-sea etc.
- Type of available welding process.
- Availability of welding consumables in the market.
- Type of welding joint and applicable welding stresses.
- The thickness of the base metals to be joined
- Anticipated cost, quality requirements.
These are the main summary of the points to be considered for choosing a welding electrode although there are various other associated factors that need to be considered too.
Click for Guide for Welding Various Materials
Finding Electrode for different types of materials
Easy way to find an electrode for a known type of a material is via ASME Section IIC. ASME IIC contains 36 SFA from SFA 5.1 to SFA 5.36. A summary of these SFA numbers and their material types are shown in below table.
Welding Electrode/ Filler wire/ Filler metal Selection Chart
Use these charts to easily locate matching, suitable electrode or filler wire for welding to join various similar and dissimilar welding.
Click here to download a pdf copy.