S355J2 Steel (1.0577) is one of the most popular structural steel used in many industries. The material number 1.0577 is an unalloyed quality or structural steel, also specified in DIN EN 10025-2 as S355J2(+N). This standard has its predecessor in DIN EN 10025 and the designation S355J2G4.
S355J2 Steel (1.0577) is a low-carbon structural steel grade regularly used in the construction industry, especially for structural engineering and mechanical engineering purposes. It’s also one of the most commonly used steel grades in the world with properties that make it suitable for a variety of applications.
This steel grade offers high strength and excellent ductility, combined with good weldability and formability. This makes S355J2 an ideal material for use in building structures such as bridges, industrial machinery and offshore structures.
S355J2 has good machinability properties and very good weldability, formability and toughness. It is a popular material in construction, which is also used in other areas due to its material properties.
S355J2 Mechanical properties according to DIN EN 10025-2
S355J2 Mechanical properties according to DIN EN 10025-2 standards are listed in the below table:
|Nominal thickness (mm)||Minimum yield strength, Re (MPa)||Tensile strength, Rm (MPa)||Brinell hardness, HB|
|> 3 ≤ 16||355||470-630||147-187|
|> 16 ≤ 40||345||470-630||147-187|
|> 40 ≤ 63||335||470-630||147-187|
|> 63 ≤ 80||325||470-630||147-187|
|> 80 ≤ 100||315||470-630||147-187|
|> 100 ≤ 150||295||450-600||133-179|
|> 150 ≤ 200||285||450-600||133-179|
|> 200 ≤ 250||275||450-600||133-179|
|> 250 ≤ 400||265||450-600||133-179|
Charpy V-Notch toughness for S355J2 Steel
Charpy V-Notch toughness for S355J2 Steel is given in the below table:
|Thickness (mm)||Temperature, °С||Minimum absorbed energy, J (J)|
|> 150 ≤ 250||-20||27|
|> 250 ≤ 400||-20||27|
Chemical composition of S355J Steel
Chemical composition after melt analysis for flat and long products of S355 Steel are listed in the below table:
|Steel grade||C%||Si%||Mn%||P%||S%||Cu%||N%||Method of deoxidation|
- For S355J0, S355J2 and S355K2: C ≤ 0.22% at thickness > 30mm.
- C by agreement for profiles with nominal thickness > 100 mm.
- For long products, the P and S content maybe 0.005% higher.
- FN: Unkilled steel not permitted.
- FF: Fully killed steel.
Application areas of S355J2(+N)
Structural steel S355J2, with a low carbon content, having a minimum yield strength (355 N / mm²), is widely used in the engineering industry and construction.
- Mechanical engineering
- Vehicle construction
S355 Steel Supplementary designations Meaning
The following letters and numbers explain the material S355 meaning.
- “S” is the abbreviation for “Structural Steel”.
- ‘355’ refers to the minimum yield strength value for the thickness of flat and long steel ≤ 16 mm.
- “JR” means that the impact energy is at least 27J at room temperature (20 °C).
- “J0” can withstand the impact energy for at least 27J at 0°C.
- “J2” in relation to the minimum impact energy value is 27J at -20 °C.
- “K2” refers to the minimum impact energy value of 40J at -20 °C.
- J4: minimum 27J at -40 °C.
- J5: minimum 27J at -50 °C.
- M: Thermo-mechanically rolled steel.
- N: Normalized or normalized rolled steel.
- L: For lower temperatures.
- W: Weatherproof.
- C: With special cold formability.
- H: Hollow sections.
- G: Other characteristics, if required, with 1 or 2 digits.
- P: For sheet plates.
- P (EN 10025-5): For the grade with higher phosphorus content (only for S355 grade)
- D: For hot-dip coatings.
- +Z: Hot-dip galvanized.
Equivalents material of S355J2 steel
ASTM equivalent of S355J2 steel is ASTM A35, ASTM A572 Gr 50 and ASTM A656 grade. Other equivalent materials are listed below: