Pontoon boat repair by welding is one of the most effective and economical ways to fix minor or major damage.
It’s a great option for those who have some basic welding experience, as well as those who are looking to learn how to weld in order to get their pontoon boat back in working condition.
Pontoon boats are used on lakes and rivers for leisure activities such as fishing, skiing, or tubing. This type of boat requires special attention due to its aluminum construction and because it is constantly exposed to water.
Welding is one of the most common ways to repair a pontoon boat. Welding Aluminium or performing repair on a Pontoon boat can be tricky due to the aluminum material.
Pontoon Boat repair by welding
The first step in repairing a pontoon boat with welding is to inspect it thoroughly for any damage that may have occurred during use.
Tools You Need for Welding Repair
- ✨ A DC TIG Welder,
- ✨ ER5356 Welding Filler Rod,
- ✨ Tungsten electrode,
- ✨ Argon Gas bottle,
- ✨ Welding holder and earthing cable,
- ✨ Welding helmet,
- ✨ Angle Grinder.
If necessary, remove the damaged area from the rest of the hull so it can be replaced more easily. Once this has been done, prepare the area for welding by cleaning it with a wire brush or sandpaper to remove rust or corrosion that could interfere with the welds.
Steps for Repairing Pontoon Boat
- Identify the area to be repaired. If possible try to know the actual aluminum material grade.
- If the welding repair is for a crack- it can be repaired locally. For major damage, you may need to change the damaged area.
- Clean the surface from any contamination.
- Use TIG welding with ER5356 filler welding rod. Use either DCEN polarity or AC Tig welding.
- You will need pure argon welding gas for TIG Welding.
- MIG Aluminum welding can be used but there are high chances of internal welding porosity. So TIG is the best option.
- After weld completion, make a visual inspection of the welded area for any welding defects. with TIG, it should be a perfect weld.
You can also use Aluminum Brazing. Click here to know How to perform Aluminum Brazing.