ERTi-1 TIG wire is a type of filler metal that is primarily composed of titanium, with trace amounts of other elements such as iron and oxygen.
This combination results in a wire that offers exceptional strength, durability, and corrosion resistance.
ERTi-1 TIG wire Grade 1 is the most basic and unalloyed form of titanium with the lowest strength among all grades.
This grade is preferred for applications that prioritize ductility over strength, such as explosive cladding, loose linings, expanded metal, and deep drawing applications.
Furthermore, it is commonly used in electrolytic applications where its excellent resistance to corrosion and high conductivity are significant benefits.
For instance, it serves as a coated anode substrate in the production of chlorine and sodium chlorate. ERTi-1 Grade 1’s unique properties make it an essential material in industries that demand high-performance metals.
Related Reading: Complete Titanium Welding Guide.
ERTi-1 Chemical Compositions
ERTi-1 TIG wire is primarily composed of titanium, with trace amounts of other elements.
The chemical composition of ERTi-1 TIG wire is typically as follows:
- Titanium (Ti): 99.0% minimum
- Iron (Fe): 0.08% maximum
- Oxygen (O): 0.03-0.10% maximum
- Hydrogen (H): 0.005% maximum
- Nitrogen (N): 0.012% maximum
- Carbon (C): 0.03% maximum
The trace amounts of iron and oxygen help to improve the wire’s strength and corrosion resistance, while the other elements are kept to a minimum to maintain the wire’s purity and prevent contamination of the weld.
The precise chemical composition of ERTi-1 TIG wire can vary depending on the manufacturer and specific product specifications.
ERTi-1 Mechanical Properties
ERTi-1 TIG wire offers the lowest mechanical properties out of other titanium wires that make it well-suited for a variety of applications.
Although, mechanical properties for ERTi-1 wire are not specified in AWS A5.16 specification.
The following are typical mechanical properties of ERTi-1 TIG wire:
- Tensile Strength: 35,000 psi
- Yield Strength: 25,000 psi
- Elongation: 25% minimum
ERTi-1 Specification Number & F Number
ERTi-1 Classification wire Specification Number is AWS A5.16. The F Number of ERTi-1 as per ASME Section IX is F Number 51. The UNS Number of ERTi-1 is R50100.
ERTi-1 welding wire applications
ERTi-1 TIG wire is commonly used in a variety of applications where titanium welding is required. Its excellent mechanical properties and corrosion resistance make it well-suited for the following applications:
- Aerospace: ERTi-1 TIG wire is used to weld critical components in aircraft and spacecraft, including engine components, landing gear, and airframes.
- Medical: ERTi-1 TIG wire is used in the manufacturing of medical implants, such as bone screws and plates, as well as surgical instruments.
- Automotive: ERTi-1 TIG wire is used to weld exhaust systems, frames, and other components in automotive applications where corrosion resistance is important.
- Sports: ERTi-1 TIG wire is used in the production of high-performance sporting goods, such as golf club heads and bicycle frames.
- Chemical Processing: ERTi-1 TIG wire is used to weld equipment in chemical processing plants where resistance to corrosion and high temperatures is critical.
- Marine: ERTi-1 TIG wire is used to weld components in marine applications, including ship hulls, propellers, and other components that require high strength and resistance to corrosion.
- Power Generation: ERTi-1 TIG wire is used to weld components in power generation equipment, such as turbine blades and heat exchangers.