ASME Section IX is a standard published by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) that specifies the requirements for welding and brazing qualifications. It provides guidelines for the qualification of welders, welding operators, brazers, and brazing operators, as well as the procedure qualification records (PQR) and welding procedure specifications (WPS).
ASME Section IX is periodically updated to incorporate new technologies, materials, and welding processes, as well as to address any issues or concerns identified by the industry. The latest version of ASME Section IX 2023 edition has made the following revisions:
- QG-108 has been revised to remove the 1962 provision and clarify the status
of old PQRs when writing a WPS to a later edition.
- The definition of “initial heating interfacial pressure” was added to QG-
109.2 and previous omissions of “sidewall-fusing” was added to pertinent
definitions within QG-109.2.
- Table OW-264 has a new requirement that includes carbon equivalent limits for
applicable steel alloys, when laser welding is performed, in order to address
the increased risk of any cracks occurring.
- A new paragraph in QW-403 also includes the new variable for a change in
- Table QW/QB-422 has been revised to include:
– Weld metals based on SFAclassification: SFA-5.9, SFA-5.18, & SFA-5.28
– An explanatory note-QW-424.3
– Base metal specification and grades for IRAM-lAS U500-42, an
Argentinian standard for structural use of hot rolled carbon steel sheets.
- Nonmandatory Appendix-L has been revised to further clarify the qualification
requirements for welders and welding operators.